We reported earlier on the horrifying news of what’s now being labeled a “suicide bombing” near the crowded Kabul airport in Afghanistan, with “mass casualties” said to be involved.
Pentagon press secretary John Kirby confirmed just now that there were indeed mass casualties, although exact numbers are not known at this early point:
We can confirm that the explosion near the Abbey Gate of the Kabul airport has resulted in an unknown number of casualties. We will continue to update.
— John Kirby (@PentagonPresSec) August 26, 2021
According to updated reporting from Fox News, 3 – possibly more – U.S. Marines were wounded in the initial attack per US sources:
At least 3 U.S. Marines wounded in the suicide attack https://t.co/Un0D3PkXyV
— Lucas Tomlinson (@LucasFoxNews) August 26, 2021
In addition to that, Fox News is also reporting a second attack has taken place:
Fox News reporting a second explosion near the hotel Americans were gathering at for rescue operations.
— Kassy Dillon (@KassyDillon) August 26, 2021
France’s ambassador to Afghanistan stopped just short of confirming the second attack but said it’s “possible”:
French ambassador in Afghanistan: “A second explosion is possible.” https://t.co/EKHO13y0HC
— Joey Garrison (@joeygarrison) August 26, 2021
For what it’s worth, President Biden has been briefed on the situation:
A WH official tells @Newsy that POTUS has been briefed on the explosion at the Kabul airport.
No word yet on whether POTUS will give an update on the situation.
— Kellan Howell (@kellanhowell) August 26, 2021
Obviously, this is a developing story and we’ll be sure to keep you posted on new developments. Please continue to pray for all impacted, including our men and women in uniform there, Afghans, and our allies.